Ways to spot a fake tech scam:
- Look for typos. Yes, typos... the hackers and criminals are not good at using spell check.
- Look at the website address. The web address is always located at the top of the website (ex. if you were just on Yahoo.com checking your mail and a pop up came up that is from www.techsupport800now.com. That is not legit and should be closed out)
- If you can't close it. Any legit pop up or advertisement that a reputable website shows you, you should be able to close out of by hitting the "X" at the top. If you can't close it we will address that later.
Ways to get away from a fake pop up tech scam:
- Always try the x at the top right first.
- If there is a box in the middle of your screen try closing that too. You may be able to select "Don't show popups from this website again" This may or may not work.
- Close out of your browser completely by exiting Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Internet Explorer.
- Hit ALT-f4 on your keyboard. That will close out of your current window. You will want to keep hitting that until the pop-up window is gone.
- Restart or turn off your computer.
If you restart your computer and the pop up is still there it is time to call a professional. You might have a virus that needs to be removed right away. If in doubt just turn your computer back off and wait for us to get there. Our Virus Free PC and related services are really good at preventing any of these types of issues. If there is anything we can do to help out please do not hesitate to contact us for help.