- Retailers will show some amazing ads with great prices. I have seen some really great computers go home since our clients were at the right place at the right time. This could be at 4:00am to get a door buster deal or catch a marketing e-mail as it goes out.
- Retailers are selling off last year’s models. Generally, most big computer companies are getting ready to launch their new computers for the year sometime in November – February. This means you can get some deals if you are OK not getting the latest and greatest. That is perfectly fine as long as you stick to the specs we recommend here.
- Too good to be true prices. This goes with anything, if the price seems too good to be true it could be. Make sure the computer, tablet, or phone really is what you think it is.
- Brands release like models to draw you in. This happens a lot with TVs but has happened with computers too. The manufacturer has a great model say XPS550 but for black Friday they suddenly have a XPS550-302. Generally, this random new computer is subpar and built to lower standards to keep the price low. You can do a quick Google Search of the model number. If you find more than just deal or sale prices, then it is probably a good model.
- Check your Credit Card for price match. Some credit cards have a price match guarantee. If you buy a computer at normal price but see it on sale for Black Friday they will match the sale price and credit you the difference back on your credit card. Think about it... you could get the same deals as black Friday without the hassle!
It is that time of season again! You know the part of the year when technology goes on sale and you can get a new computer for sometimes up to 60% off. It may seem early to start thinking about the holidays but in order to snag a great deal you have to plan out a few weeks in advance. There are some good and not so good things to think about when shopping for computers or other electronics during this time of the year.
Old age creeps up slowly – unless you’re a computer.
Then it seems to happen overnight. One day you’re logging in normally and jumping right into the action, the next day booting up takes so long you not only have time to do your laundry you have time to make dinner too! Sometimes you could even have enough time to run to the grocery store.
This is the stage where most people throw their hands in the air and start wishing for a new computer. Except your computer isn’t broken and doesn’t need replacing, it’s just….slow. Time-wasting, focus-losing & frustratingly slow.
Like any machine, computers have parts that wear out – particularly if they have moving parts that are in near-constant use.
Hard drives are the #1 cause of speed bottlenecks in most computers.
Traditional hard drives are made up of a stack of round magnetic platters or disks, spinning at up to 7200rpms, while a read/write head (think needle on a record player) on a mechanical arm whizzes back and forth. Eventually, the platters take longer to spin up, can't reach full speed, and the mechanical arm becomes sluggish. Which leaves you waiting. And waiting…
SSD's Can Give Aging Computers A New Lease On Life
Just like lungs a computer will suffocate if it is around too much smoke and tobacco. Here are some pictures from what your computer will look like after years of smoking around it. If the fans do spin they make a horrid sound like car without oil... clank clink clank clank click. All of the vent filters around the sides of the cases were totally filled with sticky orange nastiness. Check out the video below of what the computer sounds like. Hit... it isn't good!
As a small business owner I am always trying to figure out ways to improve my business and service and make it easier for my clients. I do love what I do and really enjoy helping out home and small business users with their technology needs but at some point it gets slightly overwhelming. Over the past few months I have been expanding and changing a few MAJOR parts of Layer 2 Computers.
There is Another Me with Another You!
One of the hardest things you have to do as an entrepreneur is ask for help. Well eventually you realize you literally cannot do it all yourself nor is there enough time in the day (I had to use Google to confirm this but yes there really is only 24 hours in a day). That day came a few months ago when I started working with a Personal Assistant. Sheri's business is happily named Another You, LLC. She is a personal assistant, business assistant, and errand runner for all sorts of small business owners and people who need things done.
You may or may not have heard about the latest virus making the rounds, a fiendish virus called Cryptolocker, it may sound like some sort of Indiana Jones meets High School Musical mash-up movie, but in reality it's much worse then that.
The Cryptolocker virus has been around since September of this year, and it's already causing some serious damage to the pocketbooks of everyone around the world.
When you go to open up a word or excel document are you being asked to either purchase a new version or enter a serial number for your current version? Before you were able to create and edi your word file but all of the sudden it stopped working. It appears that some update from Microsoft has de-authorized Office 2010 - Starter Edition.
Here is a step by step on how to fix it in 5 easy steps in 5 minutes or less.
Step 1: Go to start and click on control panel. Then click "Uninstall a Program"
So you subscribe to our amazing Check Up service for $9.99/month to maintain and update your computer to keep it secure. Then you upgraded to our Virus Free Guarantee to use our state of the art virus scanner for an additional $3.50/month. Our services prevent you from spending money to fix your computer when you can just prevent those issues in the first place. The next Sunday after you sign up we send our report to you in the afternoon. It looks something like this.
David is the managing member and main technology expert at Layer 2 Computers. Read More