On this Data Privacy Day, 01/28/19, How Can You Help to Ensure that Your Privacy is Protected?
- Only do Business with Credible Companies: Ask yourself some questions before giving companies online your private information. Do you trust this company? Is it an established company with a good reputation?
- Have a 2nd Email Address to use Online: Do not use your primary email address online. This can cause spam. Open a second email address only to use when submitting online to keep your primary address clean from unwanted messages.
- Be Careful with Your Credit Card Information Online:
- You may want to avoid giving your credit card info online. Some companies will offer a telephone number in which you can use to provide your credit card information.
- Only use one credit card to shop online. Keep a minimum credit line on the card to limit the amount of charges a hacker could run up.
- Do not use Debit Cards for purchasing online. While credit cards offer some sort of protection against identity theft-debit cards do not.
- Limit Exposure of Private Information: There are some default options on websites that you can choose for convenience…but not for security. Think twice about allowing a website to remember your password or store your credit card information on their site. If a hacker gains access to your computer then they have everything that they need to steal your identity.
Think about what you can do to keep your privacy secure and have a happy Data Privacy Day!