Before we can fix this we have to know how it happens.
1. Your e-mail account password was used somewhere else. Hackers might break in and steal your login details from another website or service then try those same credentials on the e-mail's website. This happens a lot more than you would think.
2. The e-mail provider was hacked. This happens but is less common as they generally have more security in place. That being said though in 2014 Yahoo was hacked and 500 Million accounts were stolen along with names, addresses, phone numbers, and passwords.
3. You had a very weak password. A weak password could be "password" or "12345678" or maybe even your name. That is why companies are making you use all kinds of combinations of upper case, lower case, numbers, and special characters in your passwords. It is to help prevent weak password issues.
1. Change your password immediately. This should be the first think you do once you realize your account has been hacked. Make sure to set up a password that is unique to that website and is complex.
2. Make sure your computer is clean by running virus scans, malware scans, and other clean up tools. There is a chance there is something on your computer that is helping the hackers find out your password.
3. Notify all the people in your contact list that they might get an e-mail from you that is fake, spam, or has a virus in it. Sure this admits defeat but it is a nice gesture to let everyone know you are having e-mail issues.
How do you prevent this from happening again?
1. Change e-mail providers. Gmail tends to be really secure. We recommend using Gmail there are other services out there that works pretty well.
2. Keep a complex password and don't repeat it with other websites. Again a good password is a good start to your defense.
3. Do not save your password on your computer or web browser.
Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Sometimes even with everything in this article you can still have issues because it is part of a bigger problem or hack. You can call us 937-660-4899 or contact us.