A few additions that may interest you:
- For those of you who spend time going through your file explorer for things like pictures there is a nice change that you may like. The addition of a togglable dark mode, this will allow you to change from the bright white colors of the file explorer to be dark instead. Nifty if you don’t enjoy being blasted with all that white light late at night.
- For you gamers, the “Game Bar” tool will show performance and other neat details when gaming in addition to blocking other interruptions that may disrupt your game and ruin your systems performance such as automatic windows downloads. It is also accessible in the apps list should you ever want to take a look at it yourself.
- If you own a Windows Mixed Reality Headset, multiple big improvements are coming. One of these is the ability to use the built-in camera to see your surroundings, no more bumping things off of your desk! The other big improvement is the ability to use the device without a monitor attached to your systems as well.
- If you use a pen for your computer, you can now use it on text boxes by default.
- Emoji Version 11 is now supported, get ready to send more (insert appropriate emoji) than ever before! Not to mention you will be able to see them without error when someone sends you them from a device already supporting it.
- Use a Bluetooth headset with your computer? Then this new addition is for you! Windows will now show the battery of connected Bluetooth devices.
- SwiftKey is now being used for the onscreen keyboard and touch keyboards. This won’t affect you if you use a traditional keyboard but if you use your windows machine as a tablet or enjoy touchscreens then this will enhance your experience when you need to type.
- A massive change that is inbound is the ability to link your android or iphone to your windows device. This will allow you to use your computer to text and share pictures with contacts on your phone. This comes in the form of an application that will be called “Your Phone”.
- Skype is also receiving a massive overhaul in design and is getting some new features as well.
- Finally the task manager is getting some nice new feature in the form of power usage monitoring.
- Go to start and type "Winver" without the quotes.
- Hit enter.
- A window will open up. You will see a part that says “Version” followed by a 4-number code. The code number for the newest update is number 1809. The following picture is a screenshot of my laptop which has not received the update yet. Note it says 1803 instead of the latest 1809.
We at Layer 2 Computers highly recommend shutting down your computer at regular intervals to maintain the health of your system. Now that a major windows update is arriving it is even more important to let your computer shut down so that these updates can apply. This has the added bonus of reducing the chance of operating system failure due to bad update to minuscule levels.
If you want to manually get the update go to start and type "Check for updates", hit enter and then click "Check for updates". Windows should search for the newest version of Windows and start the process.
If you have any trouble or issues with the update, please feel free to reach out to Layer 2 Computers here or giving us a call 937-660-4899.