- Retailers will show some amazing ads with great prices. I have seen some really great computers go home since our clients were at the right place at the right time. This could be at 4:00am to get a door buster deal or catch a marketing e-mail as it goes out.
- Retailers are selling off last year’s models. Generally, most big computer companies are getting ready to launch their new computers for the year sometime in November – February. This means you can get some deals if you are OK not getting the latest and greatest. That is perfectly fine as long as you stick to the specs we recommend here.
- Too good to be true prices. This goes with anything, if the price seems too good to be true it could be. Make sure the computer, tablet, or phone really is what you think it is.
- Brands release like models to draw you in. This happens a lot with TVs but has happened with computers too. The manufacturer has a great model say XPS550 but for black Friday they suddenly have a XPS550-302. Generally, this random new computer is subpar and built to lower standards to keep the price low. You can do a quick Google Search of the model number. If you find more than just deal or sale prices, then it is probably a good model.
- Check your Credit Card for price match. Some credit cards have a price match guarantee. If you buy a computer at normal price but see it on sale for Black Friday they will match the sale price and credit you the difference back on your credit card. Think about it... you could get the same deals as black Friday without the hassle!
- Black Friday – if you are willing to wake up before the crack of dawn you can get some good deals.
- Small Business Saturday – The day after Black Friday. In the electronic world there is not much we as small business owners can do to get better deals than big box stores. But eh, you never know we might discount a service or two!
- Cyber Monday(s) – This year it is predicted that every Monday after Thanksgiving will be a Cyber Monday. So be ready and check your e-mail.
- Days after Christmas – Sometimes some of the best deals are because the retailers want to push the products they didn’t sell.
Hopefully with these key points you can avoid buying a not so good computer computer and get a great deal on an awesome computer! If you see any great deals do not be afraid to send them over to us for review. You can see our recommendations for a computer here: Specs Blog Post.
Once you get the new computer we can help transfer your data and set it up. Also, if you want us to be an elf and set it up ahead of time we can do that too, so on Christmas morning all they have to do is unwrap and enjoy!
Share a story of a great deal you snagged and how you did it in the comments below!