This is how NOT to recycle your computer.
- Put it by the curb and hope its gone. It will be, but who took it?
- Throw it in the fire pit. Does burning metal sound like a good idea?
- Bury it in the ground. Trees do not grow from computers!
Then there is a GOOD way to recycle a computer.
- Good Will - Bring them the old computer (no hard drives allowed) and they will give you a tax sheet if you itemize. They are partnered with Dell.
- Best Buy - You can bring them up to 3 big items a day.
- Your computer manufacture - Sometimes the people who make your computer will either take the old one for free or send a kit for a few dollars to recycle it. When you purchase a new computer look around the checkout page on their website.
- EDIT: I have also been told by a reader that Habitat for Humanity will take electronic waste. They get cash for it and use it to help out their cause.
All of those places will take laptops, desktops, LCD monitors (the thin ones), CRT monitors (the big heavy ones), and all other computer accessories. Generally they will also take all the cables and other old technology devices like routers, modems, and chargers. If everyone can recycle a computer correctly think about how much waste that can save, all the metal that can be reclaimed, and room saved in landfills.
If you feel like you do not want to deal with recycling a computer contact us and we will be more then happy to get the ball rolling and recycle your old computer.
BONUS: Know any cool things to do with a old computer? Let us know in the comments! Wind chimes from an old hard drive!?